Why Good Quality Cables Are Essential In Listening To Your Music
All cables change the sound in a music reproducing audio system and insert a veil between the musicians and the listener.
This veil is caused by distortion of the audio signal that occurs due to interaction between the cable and its environment.
Our systematic approach
We have studied the many different technical approaches to cable design by some of the most successful manufacturers of audio cables.
We have analysed every aspect of cable design and applied scientific knowledge to improve the sound quality of our cables.
The seven different sources of audio cable distortion
- Conductor Distortion – all metals sound different and some better than others
- Insulation Distortion – all insulation distorts sound by dielectric absorption
- Microphony – noise added to the audio signal by tribo-electric effects
- Radio Frequency Interference – high frequency noise created by radio, electric switching distorts sound quality by intermodulation
- Magnetic Field distortion – effects of magnetic fields on cables carrying audio signals
- Mechanical Vibration Distortion – Distortion caused by mechanical vibration in equipment and caused by electrical stresses in the cable
- Connector distortion – different connectors do sound different and some better than others
Our Scientific Approach
We studied the physics behind each type of distortion separately and identified a number of different engineering solutions to reduce each form of distortion separately.
Applying engineering solutions to reducing cable distortion:
- Deep Cryogenic Treatment – we use the most advanced cryogenic treatments available including the ‘Crystal Sound‘ process.
- Low loss insulation – almost all Black Rhodium cables use either silicone rubber or PTFE insulation to reduce time smeared distortion from dielectric absorption
- Cable twisting –we twist many of our more stereo interconnects to prevent the return conductors acting as a ‘loop aerial’ between pieces of equipment
- Cable direction quality control – we specify a strict cable manufacturing process that consistently and reliably ensures that the positive and negative conductor wires have been wound in opposing directions to reduce background noise
- Thick wall insulation –places conductors wires further apart and the magnetic fields from one wire affecting the current flow in the other wire are reduced, resulting in a clearer sound more free from magnetic ‘Proximity effect’ distortion
- Rhodium plating of connectors – we plate as many as possible of our connectors in rhodium because we find its gives a clearer sound quality than any other plating material
We supplement these design techniques with our own ‘secret ingredients’ that are hidden within our cables. These are our own exclusive proprietary techniques and materials that add further to our listening pleasure.
“Each time we remove a layer of audio distortion by our designs, We feel ourselves much closer to the musicians who are playing.”